Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Introduction to Austin Part 2

Sorry I had to cut that note short, I didn't know Blogger had a word limit so when I hit it I decided to make this a two part thing. This should finish the Intro part of my blog and I can then launch into stuff such as my first days in China and other stuff from the past year.

I bolted up from my sleeping bag, contemplated putting on my boots, decided against it and ran out of my little shelter. It was seriously raining hard. Like cats, dogs, ands cows. It wasn't fun hiking over to where the leaders were meeting and then realizing that my soaking socks were gonna kill my feet. I put my boots on while we talked around a flashlight and decided that I got to lead everyone to the pavilion with the youngest counselor, well everyone who had been awoken so far that is. Luckily it was only a mile and we picked a few up on the way.

I don't know how many people have ever been huddled together with 14 other guys in a corner, while you were all soaking wet and cold as February. But I don't think anyone but the guys with me that night did it at 2:30 in the morning, I waited 3 more hours until the last car out of there and finished up my last day of summer camp.

In seventh grade I joined the school football team, I was the starting right guard that year. I also learned two years worth of band in one. Everything but band and football went bad. I had been throw from a Catholic school to a public school in Arkansas. As far as I know we were the best school academically in the region. I didn't have a fun time that year, but laid the foundations for awesome years in the 8th grade and the 1st semester of 9th grade.

When I was 14 my parents let me go to Maine with my friend Andrew. Besides the my left ear being unable to pop before the pressure starts hurting I am great with airports and such. I take everything out of my pockets, have another person go through my carry on after I check it and I usually get through customs in less than 3 minutes. Maine was awesome, it was my first time being out of the south (Texas is still the south) and I wouldn't have done anything cooler that summer anyway. My favorite part of this trip would be the Boy Scout camp. I couldn't imagine a 60 degree high in July. So of course I did everything possible just because walking around was nice and pleasant. We were the cheapest camp around the lake. I paid $250 to go to that camp, the people next to us paid $1500 for theirs. I also got most of my Eagle badges. This was also when I broke it to my buddy that I was moving to China (wouldn't have known that if it wasn't for mom leaving open an Internet page that had something to do with Shanghai Real Estate).

My first days in China are best described by this page (My old blog). That's my first attempt at writing a blog and it's last post was a year ago. Like a perfect anniversary. I still write the same, and I offered a rather objective viewpoint if I do say so myself.

That's rich, calling myself objective.

No comments:

Post a Comment